Thursday, September 23, 2010

Where is my jet pack!?

I have to laugh at myself sometimes, okay, a lot. Over the last week or so I've thought of about five different topics I want to blog about but I'm too lazy to get up and get the laptop out. Today I find myself sitting in front of the computer with time to spare and can't think of one of those topics. This is where Star Trek style living would come in really handy. If I could just say, "Computer, record..." I could walk around the house musing out loud all of my deep thoughts that the world is just dying to hear and would never miss a beat. Of course there would be constant interjections of "Stop that!" "Leave him alone!" and "No, being a woot-off does not automatically make it a good deal!" The question is whether those more accurate glimpses of my life would inspire warm feelings and admiration of my transparency or just out me as a loon.

I can't remember the last time I had a solid chunk of time to myself where I was able to follow one train of thought through to completion (in the course of writing this paragraph I've made two phone calls, held a baby, looked for instruments, sung the ABC song, and currently am listening to my kids' version of a marching band). I don't even remember where I wanted to end up when I started this post. As technology continues to make it "easier and faster" for me to communicate and express my thoughts I find myself longing more and more for paper and ink. To write with, to read. To be forced to complete a thought, to be forced to make time for silence, solitude and simplicity (I am now playing harmonica for the band as I type).

I love my kids and life and wouldn't trade a thing but I am challenged to continue to find time to be myself for myself because as Dr. Phil put it, "You can only give out what you've taken in." Time for me is coming, but right now we have to run out to see the garbage truck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment